[Sca-cooks] Mock Beef Stroganoff

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 11 05:20:16 PST 2005

> On the whole canned soup cookery theme, I also remember my mother
> baking bluefish fillets under an undiluted layer of Campbell's Cream
> of Shrimp soup, and I recall thinking that was pretty much the height
> of elegance. With really fresh fish my father had caught a couple of
> hours previous, it probably was ;-).
>
> Adamantius

I often wonder if it was a phenomenon of that generation.  I know my mom
used cream of mushroom, cream of celery, cream of chicken and chicken
gumbo soups as the basis for a number of dishes ranging from chicken and
rice to her own version of sloppy joes which we either ate on buns or
over rice.  I still occasionally get a "hankering" for one of these
dishes and make it just 'cause!  I guess that would make them fall into
that "comfort foods" category.

Kiri