[Sca-cooks] Spaghetti sauce- long- was Mock Beef Stroganoff

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 11 09:55:56 PST 2005

marilyn traber 011221 wrote:

>Basicly, what I do, except where I slow cook, you add the baking soda. I'm
>glad of that idea- I'll try it some time. I slow cooked because the slow
>cooking brought out the sweetness and blended the flavors, and I just
>tolerated the acid when I didn't have time to slow cook. And, sorry, folks, I
>know there are a lot of fans of adding sugar to spaghetti sauce on this List,
>but it just ain't going into my spaghetti ;-)
>
>Phlip, always happy to learn something new ;-)

With mine, I usually cook it one day, let it sit overnight then have it
for dinner the next night.  I find that the flavors meld much better.

I do add sugar to mine...but just a pinch.  I do it to take the acidic
edge off of the tomaqtoes.  My sauce doesn't taste sweet...the sugar
just brings up the flavor a bit.  It's the same principle, I guess, as
the fact that I put salt on my grapefruit.  Again, the salt makes the
grapefruit actually sweeter to the taste than sugar does.  I agree with
both of you that a lot of ready-made sauces do have a sweet taste and it
is not very good.  They seem to take the idea of adding an opposite
flavor to bring up the flavor of a dish to an extreme!

Kiri