[Sca-cooks] Lebkuchen question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 11 23:58:07 PST 2005

A Curious Gwen Cat asked:

What is the history of Lebkuchen, perhaps including
the origin of the name.  I know the period era
Lebkuchen/gingerbread is not like the modern cake like
version. So Im curious, where did it originate (either
the boiled honey version or other things) and where
when how did the more modern holiday treat emerge.
For that matter, when and where did the association
with the winter holidays come from since nowadays you
(or at least I) cant imagine December without
lebkuchen herzen and domino stones and all those other
chocolate/gingerbread treats that threaten my recently
schrunken waistline.
<<<

I wasn't aware of a connection between Lebkuchen and gingerbread,
however perhaps I'm just not familiar with Lebkuchen. I'm not at all
familiar with what you mean by "lebkuchen herzen" or "domino stones".
Or is the last what you play dominos with?

However, this file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium does
have a fair amount of info about period gingerbread and its history:
gingerbread-msg   (48K)  6/15/04    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/gingerbread-msg.html

Stefan
(Hmmm.I wonder if the game of dominos goes back to medieval times?)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com