[Sca-cooks] buttered bread crumb topping

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Dec 12 06:22:30 PST 2005

On Dec 12, 2005, at 2:49 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Talking about her variation on macaroni and cheese, Gwen Cat
> mentioned:
> > Buttered bread crumb topping optional.
>
> I have a newbie cook question. What is the best way to create this?
>
> 1) Mix the bread crumbs and the butter in a bowl and then try to
> transfer that to the Mac and cheese?
> 2) Put some slices of butter down on the top of the macaroni and
> then sprinkle everything with the bread crumbs?
> 3) Do either of the above, but melt the butter first?
> 4) Something else?

One solution I'm familiar with is to melt butter in a sauce pan over
low heat until it stops bubbling (IOW, all the water is gone) but
hasn't browned, then stir in bread crumbs. Amounts will largely be
determined by experience over a couple of attempts. The end product
just slightly resembles wet sand, but isn't gloopy (the advantage of
cooking the water out of the butter).

You can also just allow the butter to soften completely and work it
into the crumbs, breaking up lumps with your fingers.

My local pizzeria makes a Sicilian pie with onions and crumbs with
olive oil instead of cheese, but unfortunately I don't think they're
open this early...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782