[Sca-cooks] Roasting chestnuts

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Mon Dec 12 09:02:18 PST 2005

> If I can find some at a decent price, I want to serve some roasted
> chestnuts for an upcoming dayboard.  I've never roasted them before,
> but the instructions for oven-roasting seem fairly straightforward --
>  slash shells, 400 oven, remove when done.  I will probably buy them
> in advance and freeze them.  I have two main questions:
> 1. can I do the slashing the day before, in order to save
> preparation time on the morning of the event?

Yep. Shouldn't be a problem.

> 2. how long after roasting do the chestnuts remain edible?  Will
> they hold well (perhaps in insulated bags, or do they really need to
> be made just before eating?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Brighid ni Chiarain
> Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom

They tend to hold pretty well- if you roasted them the day before, and served
them for the day board, they'd be fine. Trouble is, they TASTE better hot, on
the order of, bread is good, but freshly baked bread is better. They're also
easier to peel if they're hot, or at least warm.

Phlip