[Sca-cooks] planting fish

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 13 07:27:16 PST 2005

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Urtatim commented:
> >>>
> >> Salmon is vegetarian?????
>
> My thoughts exactly. Last time i looked, one could not plant a fish
> in a garden (unless it had a pond)
> <<<
>
> Well, yes you can. It's just that the yield is usually zero, at least
> as far as new fish is concerned.
>
> Wasn't one of the tricks that the American Natives taught the
> European immigrants to put a fish in with the maize seed when they
> planted it? Or is that another one of those urban legends?

The Quinnipiack were known for planting the "Three Sisters," corn,
squash and beans together with a fish.  I suppose this is one of those
folk traditions that really works!  Fish is the original organic
fertilizer, very good for almost all crops. Rich in amino acids and B
vitamins.  Garden supply companies charge big buck$ for fish-based
fertilizer;  the one I'm looking at right now charges US$ 12.95 for one
quart of "material that is fresh - free from decomposition and processed
daily using sanitary methods, resulting in low odor" which implies to me
that they took a frozen fish, boiled it [killing beneficial bacteria as
well as the stinky] and stuck it in a blender with some distilled water.

OK, so you don't take a fish head to the movies, you take it to the garden!

Selene