[Sca-cooks] Snow and Storms

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 15 07:33:30 PST 2005

On Dec 15, 2005, at 9:47 AM, Sue Clemenger wrote:

> So...what's in the "garbage plate"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Tahou_Hots

Be advised that the photo was clearly done by a skilled photographer
working in conjunction with an experienced food stylist to showcase
the dubious visual appeal. However, the page contains links to sites
with photos showing plates more typical in appearance.

> or the tournedos Rossini ?

As I recall Tournedos Rossini was requested by the composer/conductor
and the restaurant staff weren't too thrilled by the request, so they
jokingly made a big show of serving it covered with a napkin, with
the waiter carrying it behind his back like something particularly
embarrassing. This method has become tradition in older, fine French
restaurants (if they serve that type of food at all).

The actual dish is a sauteed tournedos steak (a beef filet steak
smaller than a filet mignon) topped with a large slice of foie gras
(not pate, the real, whole stuff), topped with a slice of black
truffle. Usually served with some demiglaze variant such as Madeira
demiglaze, or Sauce Bordelaise, etc.

I don't find it unattractive in the least, myself.

Adamantius