[Sca-cooks] Snow and Storms

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 15 07:47:37 PST 2005

> On Dec 15, 2005, at 5:59 AM, Betsy Marshall wrote:
>
>> Had to Google this one, but...
>> Gravy cheese fries?!?!
>> Must be a regional thing
>> Pyro (Mystified at best)
>

> I confess I'm with you on this one: not just gravy cheese fries, but
> gravy COTTAGE cheese fries. My initial reaction is that food is
> supposed to look like that _after_ leaving the stomach of a massively
> drunk college student, not before entering it...

Like many comfort foods, it's not about pretty.  OK so it looks like the
first guy didn't like it either.  Overall, the effect is not dissimilar
to chili cheese fries for people who don't do that much spice.

Not exactly "cottage cheese," the curds are a bit firmer, squeeky on the
teeth and there's no whey to dilute the gravy or make the potatoes
soggy.   The greenest of green cheese, in the classic sense rather than
that of color.  Remember, this is a product of Cheesemaking Country
where this was the cheapest protein available.  Do they have Canadian
curds flown in or do they obtain them from a California cheesemaker, I
wonder,  I may ask next time.    Cheapass diner gravy, not exactly
demiglace is it?  Again, it's a comfort food, which is about formative
sensory memories rather than gourmet stylings.

So I have observed.

Selene Colfox