[Sca-cooks] The Philosopher's Kitchen

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 18 11:59:59 PST 2005

Christianna wrote:
>I was just asked about this book and wondered if anyone had an
>opinion to share about it?  I find that it is written by Francine Seagan, and
>that she is evidently quite a public speaker - in fact one of her lectures in
>NYC was posted here not too long ago.

I confess i have not read the book.

But i have heard her interviewed on the radio - To The Best Of Our Knowledge
http://wpr.org/book/040808a.html

where she gave some of her recipes - they are on the website.
http://wpr.org/book/greekrecipes.html

When i hear the "plug" for the show i was excited. When i actually
heard what she was doing i was disappointed.

They were, at the very best, very modern adaptations, "inspired by".
They were not recreations or reconstructions of the original early
recipes.

So, if someone wants historical food, this isn't it, but if someone
wants modern recipes inspired by the past, this may be fine.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita