[Sca-cooks] grilled Cuban sandwiches?

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 19 06:32:16 PST 2005

I went last week to a place in the North GA area that served a "Cuban"
sandwich, so I hopped aboard that train.  Now, I did see the train coming
and for what it is.  They area an ice cream shop serving hot sandwiches on
another counter.  I still bit.  Their Cuban had the appropriate bread, ham,
mustard, mayo, pickles, optional jalapenos and, instead of roasted pork . .
. . pulled pork barbeque.  I really should have guessed it since they were
simply making sandwich variations based on their in-hand products.  No roast
pork in anything else, so that was the clue.  It WAS grilled under a panini
press.

All told, it was not at all what I had expected, but a fine sandwich to
behold.  Price was about $5.50 including chips, and was almost bigger than I
needed.  I'd eat it again, but wouldn't call it a Cuban sandwich.

La Fonda here in Atlanta serves a very pleasant rendition; they area
Latin-style restaurant with a righteous paella as well. Go to one if you are
in town.  Pork is thin and had a smoky hint to it.  I went to Gasparilla in
Tampa a few years ago and got the drop dead best one ever.  The folks
running it were likely born in Cuba, and spoke broken English . . . but
served some FINE food.  I can't remember the place's name, but it had a
parrot and neon sort of decor.

niccolo difrancesco