[Sca-cooks] Back in Period, Naples 1460 Cheese Toast RE:OOP: Cheez Sammichez

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 19 13:58:58 PST 2005

To take this into a more historic context, Neapolitan Cusine c. 1460 to be
exact, you can use the following redaction.  Believe me that the cheese and
cinnamon are sublime.  If you use Kefalagraviera cheese (a harder one), it
is a specatcular variant.  Sorry I don't have the original text at hand.
I'll get it if someone wants it.  It's #94 in the Scully book.

Niccolo's Recipe
Serves 10 as appetizer

1 half loaf French Baguette, cut in 1/2" slices
1/2 pound (2 sticks) softened butter
2 Tbl sugar
1 Tbl Cinnamon
1/2 pound Fontina Cheese, thinly sliced

combine Sugar and cinnamon.  Brush bread with butter and toast/brown.  When
bread is browned, sprinkle lightly with cinnamon mixture, and top with a
piece of fontina cheese.  Place in moderate oven until cheese just melts;
serve quickly.

ORIGINAL TEXT & TRANSLATION
Scully, T. (2000).  Cuoco Napoletano - The Neapolitan Recipe
        Collection: a critical edition and English translation.
        Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.)