[Sca-cooks] French bread, was grilled Cuban sandwiches?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Dec 19 21:40:58 PST 2005

Some of the large whole wheat country loaves will last almost a week as long
as they are uncut.  Rye breads may last even longer.  They are high density
with a thick crust and they hold moisture.  I prefer most of them hot from
the oven, so they don't last as long as they could.

The light airy baguettes are best served within three or four hours.  The
baking process boils the moisture to get the well aerated interior, but it
reduces the shelf life as does the size and shape.  The batards are probably
those made with the same dough as the baguettes, but they last a little
longer because of the size.  Under the best of conditions, I expect these to
dry out in two days.  After four, I run them through the food processor to
make bread crumbs.

Bear