Role of Raspberry Cordial [Sca-cooks] Patting myself on the back

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 20 11:58:38 PST 2005

Please help enlighten me as I am rather ignorant of this part of the
alcoholic beverage world.  To what use would the raspberry cordial have been
used?  Would it have been a  medicinal?  What sort of maladies would it have
been prescribed for?  Would it have been a recreational beverage instead?
What part(s) of time and region would I find it?

I really am trying to build my knowledge base about such products as I wane
a little too ignorant when the conversation moves to cordials and such like.
I have a vague understanding that in their beginning they were ostensibly
something like tonics for maladies and health restoratives/protectives.  Not
a lot of solid info besides what can be gleaned in the Florilegium.  I think
the conversation could be worth redux?

Heck, even the bibliography or info from your docs could be useful to me in
my stage of ignorance.

niccolo difrancesco
Beer, wine, mead . . . no flavored spirits yet.