[Sca-cooks] cordials

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 21 06:17:39 PST 2005

See, there's the thing.  I find lots and lots of recipes that are vaguely
related to something in a late 1500's or 1600's recipe.  I don't fins a lot
of explanations of the real life use of these liquids from 1300 through the
latest part of our period.  That is more the part that interests me.  I have
a firm belief that they were not recreational "shooters" for parties as we
use them in modern culture.  Sure, there was he wink when you were
prescribed some of these, not unlike some use of Laudanum in the 1800's.
There are a few herbalists in Georgia who are doing lots of research on the
medicinal values of various concoctions and herbs . . . Christianna and her
apprentice, Tara, are notables around these parts.  Fruit cordials are fun
and tasty, but I have not yet found anyone who can tell me the use of a
chocolate and fig liqueur (for example) in any time or place we study.

I am looking constantly for other pockets of people interested in that facet
of the infused spirits from European Middle to Late Middle Ages.  Having
another set viewpoints/understandings offers a sort of compare/contrast to
see what others are gleaning from the corpus. Not all people doing infused
spirits in the SCA are in the same direction down this path, so I seek them
where I can find them.  Not too much recent in the Florilegium on this part.

niccolo difrancesco