[Sca-cooks] freezing butter

Finne Boonen finne at cassia.be
Thu Dec 22 00:32:18 PST 2005

On 12/22/05, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Thank you Phlip and Bear for answering my questions about freezing
> butter and margarine.
>
> However, Phlip also commented:
> <<<
> We put what we aren't using in the freezer, have an open pound in the
> fridge, and take sticks out to keep a bit warmer in a butter dish on the
> counter.
> <<<
>
> Huh? I always thought butter needed to be kept cool, these days in
> the refrigerator, to keep it from spoiling. Or do you go through
> butter so fast it doesn't have time to spoil sitting on the counter?
> I assume your countertop is near room temperature? Of course you
> aren't living in Phoenix, referencing another recent thread. :-)

uh? I've never kept butter anywhere but on the countertop, fresh from
the fridge is too hard to handle.

Anyways, margarine with a low fat content tends to de-emulsify a bit,
a problem not foudn in margarines with a higher fat content.

finne
--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"