[Sca-cooks] freezing butter

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Dec 22 05:28:41 PST 2005

> Huh? I always thought butter needed to be kept cool, these days in
> the refrigerator, to keep it from spoiling. Or do you go through
> butter so fast it doesn't have time to spoil sitting on the counter?
> I assume your countertop is near room temperature? Of course you
> aren't living in Phoenix, referencing another recent thread. :-)

My grandparents (living near Rochester, NY) kept butter in a covered
container in the shape of a duck all year round. After a prolonged
struggle with one of those wierd butter containers with the water
chamber, my roomates now leave a stick of butter on the counter, though
I think we should probably put a butter dish into use as it gets
melted-ish and tends to get stuck to things if you are not careful.
Still, we don't have a problem with it other than that.

Butter can go rancid if exposed to high heat for too long, but generally
it melts first. Half-melted butter that has sat out for a week or so
doesn't taste as good but it never interfered with my consitution.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase