[Sca-cooks] cordials

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 22 09:03:32 PST 2005

 People who first get geeked up about making
> liquors in SCA world have to get past the "fancy, sweet recreational
> drink" stage of development to reach the point of curiosity about
> the more likely uses of their products by the people in our periods
> and places of interest.  Most are quite satisfied and fulfilled
> before the delve into medicinal theories of the times, which is
> perfectly acceptable.

Well, I never got into that direction, because I think that the "fancy, sweet
recreational drink"s are a waste of perfectly good alcohol. On the rare
occasions I drink hard liquor, I'm one for Scotch whiskey. I did, however,
develop my Blacksmiths Cordial initially as a joke, but found that I not only
liked the basic flavor, but that improving it is very entertaining,
personally.

> It is just a hope I have to meet people who have gone further down
> the that curiosity of how it all fits road . . . to give me more
> pointers to look upon.  I am more of a consumer of the research at
> this point than a producer in this particular area.
>
> niccolo difrancesco

Yeah, understand where you're coming from. While I have no intention of going
down the road of research as far as cordials and that sort of thing go, I'm
taking the same path with my interest in smithing. Most people stop
with "heat it up and hit it with a hammer and make something kewl" where I'm
looking at what style of hammer/heat/anvil, where and when, what
types/usages/characteristics of ores available, in which areas, the economic
worth of iron goods, as well as their origins/usages/methods of dispersion.

The symbol is the forge, or the finished cordial, but what the symbol
actually stands for- now that is what we're looking for ;-)

Phlip