Forges OT [Sca-cooks] cordials

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 22 10:36:45 PST 2005

Strongly suggest you join our EKMetalsmiths List:

Subscribe: 	EKMetalsmiths-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Started out fro people in the EK, but I know too many people, so anyone from
anywhere is welcome, as long as they're interested in some aspect of
metalsmithing.

As far as a forge, you can use damn near anything, as long as it doesn't
burn. My forge is a brake drum with a piece of Duke Andrew's old furnace pipe
as a down pipe, and assorted bits and pieces welded together, but I'm working
on building a period style forge in a wooden box lined with clay. All you
need is a container that won't burn, and a direct source of air to the fire-
anything else is just details for convenbience.

To make one easily without having to weld, get a brake drum. Inside it, have
a flange on the end of a 6" pipe nipple, a T fitting, and 2 more nipples for
the other ends of the T. Attach one of the top branches of the T to the
nipple coming out of the bottom of the brake drum, one to the stem of the T
(thats where you put the air input) and one to the other branch of the T,
with an end cap to catch the ashes, so you can unscrew it and clean the ashes
out. You can also make a gravity controlled door for r4emoving the ashes, but
that's a bit more complex. For a grate, so your fire doesn't fall down the
pipe, you can use one of those cast iron shower grates that you can get at
and hardware store.

Once you have all that put together, you need to set it on some sort of
stand. Mine is a 2' X 3' table made of 11 guage sheet metal, with angle iron
(from an old bed frame) around the edges to stabilize it (Andy welded mine
together for me, but it could easily be bolted together) with legs made of
more old bed frame bolted together with 1/4" bolts and fly nuts (for easy
disassembly for transport) but you could easily enough make a tripod out of
bar stock, or do what one friend of mine does, and set it down inside an old
gas bbq grill.

Best fuel is charcoal- for one thing, it's more period- but you can, of
course, use coke, smithing coal, or for that matter, any coal, but coal,
unless it's smithing quality, is WAY too much hassle per BTU- at least in my
opinion- I don't like having to spend all my time setting up the fire and
cleaning out clinkers- I'd rather gossip, teach, and hit metal ;-)

And, it depends on what you mean by smaller pieces. The advantage to a
coal/charcoal forge is that you can heat things in a limited area- you're not
heating the whole piece, whereas with most propane forges, you're heating
more than you're actually working on, which often means you need to cool the
area you don't want to shape. No, I couldn't make an anchor to hold the Queen
Mary in my little forge, but I can, and have, made various pieces 6 and 8 ft
long- just depends how I arrange the fire.

If you make it to Pennsic this year, I'll be happy to give you lessons,
either on my forge, if I bring it, or on any of an assortment of other forges
I have access to. Spent most of last Pennsic either in Chirurgeon's Point, or
someone's forge teaching people ;-)

Phlip