[Sca-cooks] salt in butter

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 12:03:35 PST 2005

Even today in Sweden you can buy butter (and margerine) with extra salt from the grocery store.  Before you ask, no I didn't try any.

  Cordelia Toser

Volker Bach <carlton_bach at yahoo.de> wrote:
    Am Donnerstag, 22. Dezember 2005 06:21 schrieb Mark Hendershott:
> Somewhat related question. I acquired a reprint cookbook originally
> published in 1939. Some of the recipes for baked goods say to wash
> and dry the butter. Is this significant? Maybe 1939 butter (Swedish
> butter as it happens) needed cleaning?

I know of 'washing' butter in earlier times, when it basically means agitating
the butter in/under cold water. The point was to get the salt out that was
added to preserve it. I don't know if that was still an issue in Sweden in
'39, but salted butter is still popular in Scandinavia and if they are sweet
baked goods, that makes sense.

Giano