[Sca-cooks] OT OOP Vanilla Extract

Carol Smith Eskesmith at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 22 15:27:39 PST 2005

Propylene glycol a sweetener?  I don't think so; it's got a very bitter back note, and a 50% W/W mix of alcohol and P Gl is considered non-potable by TTB (Your new, post 9/11 Alcohol & Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau, abbreviated TTB, nee Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms, abbreviated BATF).  And glycerin in large quantity can be bitter, as well (according to one of our chemists), though it is a very simple 3-carbon sugar structure and is sweet at low levels.
Anything sold as Propylene Glycol, with nothing else listed in the label, had better be straight propylene Glycol, at least if it's sold for use in foods.  Drug usage may have differing requirements; I'm not willing to take the time to find out, though.

Regards,
Brekke