[Sca-cooks] A Baghdad Cookery Book by Perry

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 22 18:35:35 PST 2005

> Johnna Holloway wrote:
>
>> PPC 79 arrived in the mail this afternoon.
>> The entire special issue is
>> A Baghdad Cookery Book, newly translated by
>> Charles Perry.
>> 127 pages. with glossary and notes.
>> The 13th century text has been translated with many errors and
>> misreadings corrected.
>>
>> It's simply marvelous.
>>
>> Johnnae llyn Lewis

I was going to ask if he had made any changes in the last couple of years
since the MEDIEVAL ARAB COOKERY [Prospect Books, 2001] anthology in which he
took part... Then checked that volume only to find that Perry didn't
actually do the Al-Baghdadi translation there, A.J. Arberry did.  Perry did
a number of other articles and translations therein.  This should be an
interesting comparison!

The current PPC website does not appear to have been updated to include
Issue 79, I hope this will be fixed soon.
<http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/shop/system/index.html>

In the meantime, I am ordering a three-issue subscription to see if I like
it overall.

Bon Appetit,
Selene Colfox