[Sca-cooks] Re: dropping buttered bread - OT

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Dec 23 17:16:19 PST 2005

On Dec 23, 2005, at 6:48 PM, Devra at aol.com wrote:

>         Two Talmudic scholars were debating: Why is it that bread
> always
> falls buttered side down? One of them (probably not a true scholar,
> because true
> scholars debate, rather than experiment) took a slice of bread,
> buttered it,
> and dropped it. And Lo! It fell buttered side UP.
>      Then the other scholar said, 'You buttered the wrong side.'
>
>             Devra, who's a VERY reformed Jew

There's a glorious 1970's short story (or maybe a novella) by a guy
named Phil Bertoni (again, I think) called "Abandon All Heat, Ye Who
Enter Here". It posits the theory that Maxwell's Demons are actual
demons who regulate the laws of probability by, in turn, controlling
otherwise unpredictable events via thermal updrafts. They create tiny
winds that cause the bread to land butter side down, because that's
their job, among other things such as causing the phone to ring when
you're in the tub, the bus to arrive immediately after you've just
lit a cigarette or put a quarter in the pay phone, etc.

The story concerns the events in Heaven, on Earth, and in Hell when
Maxwell's Demons go on strike, causing, among other unlikely
phenomena, Hell to freeze over, giving greater chances to any
snowballs that are in the immediate vicinity.

One of the main characters is, as I recall, a mathematician studying
probability using bread and butter.

Me, I'd just assume that adding enough butter to bread moves the
center of gravity of the mass toward the buttered side. But then,
people tell me I'm no fun.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782