[Sca-cooks] Vanilla Extract --Thank you, and some answers.

Carol Smith Eskesmith at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 26 16:17:30 PST 2005

Hi again.

Propylene glycol has been a permitted food ingredient longer than I've been in the industry; it's the ethylene glycol in antifreeze that's the killer.  Check your labels; propylene glycol is in a lot of foods and flavorings, not just vanilla.
As for aging vanilla, the original extraction takes about 10 days at a slightly elevated temperature (about 105-110 degrees Fahrenheit).  It should then be aged in charred oak casks, but is generally aged in stainless steel these days for proper sanitation.  The beans are removed after the 10-day percolation/maceration period, the alcohol tested, and the aging process then starts.  It's very similar to making good whiskey.  If you're doing the extraction at room temperature, I'd leave the bean in the alcoholic solution for another 5 days, but that's just a guess.  You may prefer to use either vodka or the everclear cut to 35% alcohol as closest to the regular vanilla, but using rum or brandy will provide other sweet notes you won't get in regular vanilla extract.  The vanilla flavor will mellow out over time, even without the oak cask, just as your cordials blend with sitting.

Regards,
Brekke