[Sca-cooks] Lamb dinner ideas wanted

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 29 07:46:22 PST 2005

Here's a go at a rustic style that could work well against the Lamb Roast (I
recommend also rubbing roast with salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil before
roasting).  My meal comes in at $1.91 added costs.  Simple elegance, and low
labor in general:

Potatoes (classic French thing I cannot remember name of) $0.66
	slice thin about 2 lb potatoes and hold in cold water heat heavy 10"
skillet; place 1 TBL olive oil in bottom, layer potatoes; each layer getting
a sprinkling of salt, 1TBL butter and light garlic; I also put a little dry
tarragon in each layer . . . just a little. Fry on stovetop until golden on
bottom, then into oven until tender through.  Serve inverted on plate so
golden side up.  Garnish with parsley and Romano gating. Will hold in warm
oven for a little while

Pan Roasted carrots, celery & onions with orange bechamella    0.75
	cut 1 lb carrots into quarters, same with 4 ounces pearl onions; 1 stalk
celery into sticks.  2 TBL olive oil in pan, and cook over medium heat to
brown on all sides; add onions and celery at logical times for their size
and density.  Bechamella is cream sauce with flour roux in the carrot pan,
plus milk and orange peels (steep peels in milk a little to infuse). . .
only need about 1 to 1.5 cups volume.  If you had some stock or soup base,
veloute would work really well here.  Serve with carrots and onions arranged
on plate, and nap sauce across (not cover, but lay band across).  Garnish
with orange peel and parley.

Sourdough Flat Breads:  0.20 (approx with 4 cups flour)
	Use sourdough starter to make enough dough for a 1.5 pound loaf.  divide
dough into 6 equal balls and stretch into 7" rounds and place on flat
skillet or griddle brushed with oil until spotty brown on bottom and starts
to bubble; flip and finish on bottom.  Put herbs into the bread just before
grilling to give flavors (rosemary leaves come to mind)

Dessert      $0.31
	Pear tarts: flour and butter paste/crust; roll 7" rounds of dough,
	arrange pear slices on crust, leaving a 1" or so border to fold up;
	dot with butter, sprinkle with TBL sugar, some cinnamon, clove, pinch salt.
	bake and serve warm.  Need probably 2 pears.

You could do a custard as dessert instead, and cost could come to $2.01 (put
pear slices in bottom of custard cups and pour rich egg yolk custard over (3
yolks, milk and sugar).

Simple foods to highlight a strong flavored and flamboyant roast.

niccolo difrancesco