[Sca-cooks] Best fishes for dried fish

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 29 08:07:08 PST 2005

I found a Univ of Minnesota Extension Service website that cautions not to
dry fish at home:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ0820.html

This site gives instructions for drying Salmon . . . with lots of salt.

http://www.i4at.org/surv/dryguide.htm

Your local extension agency should have info about drying and preserving
foods safely.  Ask them what they recommend.  I suspect that salting and
smoking fish were done for a reason, and popular in period . . . staves of
the nasties.

This site has a brine and then drying.  They even give suggested brining and
drying times:
http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm#Drying