[Sca-cooks] Limes

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Dec 30 06:33:19 PST 2005

>A friend has been kind enough to give me two crates full of limes left over
>from the Mother of All Caipirinha Parties. I've subsequently spent
>considerable time making and freezing juice and making lime cordial, but I'm
>left to wonder what else they are good for. Any pointers appreciated - I have
>time on my hands over new year, and two thirds of one crate are still left
>over.

Citrus-Cured Gravlax
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_29508,00.html
I have this curing in the fridge right now for a New Year's party.
You make a paste of whole citrus, fresh herbs, sugar, salt, and
cracked pepper, wrap it around salmon, wrap in cheese cloth, put a
weight on it, then cure for 48 hours.  Serve sliced very thin.

I've made gravlax before, but not this recipe, which is about halfway
to seviche.  It calls for several kinds of citrus, but I suspect all
lime would be great.  It calls for several fresh herbs, I used just
basil because I had that on hand.

Seviche would be good too... or any kind of seafood marinated in lime.

Ranvaig