[Sca-cooks] Re: Cakes

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Fri Dec 30 07:52:42 PST 2005

> Stefan wrote:
> >Wow! Those are quite inspirational, although also a bit overwhelming
> >as in, there's no way I can ever do anywhere near as good, so why try?
>
> Well, to me that's a bit discouraging to hear.  I had hoped the response
> would be something like "What if I tried to do X instead?"  Or,
>  "Hah!  I see the mistakes in that one.  I can do better!"  Please
> note that I included some "flops" - like the icing that melted in
> the heat of a May Cooper's Lake event!

Well, while I don't share the "I can't do that" attitude, I can understand
it. Your efforts are pretty overwhelming ;-)

Now, keep in mind that we
> all have different abilities.

<Much snippage>

The thing is not the technicalities of the individual creations that's so
overwhelming, Alys. Most of us can do a bit of this or a bit of that. It's
the artistic inspiration that fueled you to put a bit of this and a bit of
that into these beautiful works. THAT's what's so intimidating, I think, to
many folks.

Me, I look at something like that and say to myself, "Wow, that's a cool
idea. I wonder if..." and scarf ideas, thinking about putting them into other
media, not having a particular interest in cakes. But other folks, who have
struggled to get icing evenly on a simple birthday cake forget the basic
question, "How do you eat an elephant?" and more importantly, the
answer: "One bite at a time" and find themselves overwhelmed by the basic
skills that were transformed into an artistic vision.

> So, having zapped into Laurel-teaching mode, I would say to look at the
> cakes, find something that looks fun to do and try to copy it - or e-
> mail me and ask for hints about how I did it.  I'd like to inspire, not
> intimidate.  (However, I will say that I'm tickled to receive praise!)

Truthfully, your efforts are beyond praise, and into awe ;-)

> When I became a Laurel back in 1992 I heard from folk that Laurels
> (in some kingdoms) didn't want to share their secrets, possibly for
> fear that the other person would construct something better.  For
> myself, if someone copies and does it better, I am pleased!  I'd
> like my material to be used as a stepping stone, not as a stumbling block.
>
> Alys Katharine

Exactly. And that's why, over the years, you've put so much effort into
teaching folks the basics, so that they may go forth and develop their own
visions ;-) There are good reasons I respect you, Alys, and the reasons for
that have very little to do with bay leaves or a tin hat, except incidently ;-
)

Phlip