[Sca-cooks] Re: Cakes

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 30 08:57:26 PST 2005

Elise Fleming wrote:

>Stefan wrote:
>

>>Wow! Those are quite inspirational, although also a bit overwhelming
>>as in, there's no way I can ever do anywhere near as good, so why try?
>>

>Well, to me that's a bit discouraging to hear.  I had hoped the response
>would be something like "What if I tried to do X instead?"  Or, "Hah!  I
>see the mistakes in that one.  I can do better!"  Please note that I
>included some "flops" - like the icing that melted in the heat of a May
>Cooper's Lake event!  Now, keep in mind that we all have different
>abilities.  You, Stefan, understand computers.  To me they are wizard boxes
>and I have no idea what the buttons in the top row (F1, etc), print screen,
>esc mean, nor do I usually use that block of keys on the right except when
>I need specific symbols (and I have to look up their numbers!)  So,
>regarding cakes, I'm a "copyist".  I can copy a picture if I have a line
>drawing.  For several of the cakes with pictures I used the drawings in
>children's coloring books and directly copied them onto semi-transparent
>rice paper.  It's easy, then, to color in the picture.  (If anyone needs
>hints, e-mail me.)  Same thing goes for borders.  I've found some scribal
>boks (SCAdian) that give examples of different styles of borders and I just
>copy them in icing.  One thing that I do have is a steady hand so some of
>the work is easier for me than for others.  However, I can do calligraphy
>on cakes but I don't seem to be very good at it on paper.  Go figure! <g>
>
>So, having zapped into Laurel-teaching mode, I would say to look at the
>cakes, find something that looks fun to do and try to copy it - or e-mail
>me and ask for hints about how I did it.  I'd like to inspire, not
>intimidate.  (However, I will say that I'm tickled to receive praise!)
>

>>I wonder how likely this link is to change, Alys? I'd hate to have
>>these wonderful examples disappear. I'm wondering if you might be
>>interested in letting me put a copy of this file into the
>>Florilegium? If you want to add more info to it, to make it more of
>>an article, now or sometime in the future, I'd be willing to do that
>>as well.
>>

>As long as I keep my Earthlink account the link will be valid.  I'm not
>planning on changing it and have had the same e-mail address for over 10
>years.  However, you certainly can put a copy of the file into the
>Florilegium.  FYI, there are some modern cakes in another section on the
>web site and my favorite of that is a yellow straw hat cake that exactly
>reproduced a hat my mother had back in the 70s.  You are also welcome to
>link or copy the articles that are in another section.
>
>When I became a Laurel back in 1992 I heard from folk that Laurels (in some
>kingdoms) didn't want to share their secrets, possibly for fear that the
>other person would construct something better.  For myself, if someone
>copies and does it better, I am pleased!  I'd like my material to be used
> [...]
Dear Lady,
Though I already knew it, what you say here definitely identifies you as
a Laurel in the true spirit of what being the Order should mean.  I have
met too many people who have the attitude you describe...in fact, I know
one that fears competition so greatly that the person refuses to work
with other cooks as co-cooks, and tears down what others do, especially
when they are being considered for awards.

Thanks for your insight!

Kiri