[Sca-cooks] Bread baking for 12th Night

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Fri Dec 30 19:21:49 PST 2005

> Does someone have a surefire recipe for a whole-grain bread?  I need
> some variety for a dayboard.  It doesn't have to be a period recipe,
> but should not contain New World grains.  Also, nothing with seeds,
>  fruits, or other foreign objects.  Thanks!
>
> --
> Brighid ni Chiarain
> Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
> Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net

The one I've been using in the bread machine's pretty good- at least, I
haven't screwed it up too badly ;-D

 Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Bread

Ingredient List:

1 cup of water
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 pkg kasha (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup quick-cooking or regular oats
2 tablespoons dry milk
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 teaspoons regular active dry yeast OR
2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine or quick-acting active dry yeast

You can up the oatmeal and forget the kasha. I've been doing it both with and
without raisins- works fine either way.

Phlip