[Sca-cooks] An open letter to Food TV regarding Mr. Flay...

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 3 07:38:00 PST 2005

A rough draft proposal - any thoughts?
;)
Christianna

Dear Food TV Executives,
	We, the collective cooks of the Society for Creative Anachronism wanted to
take a moment to write to you about Mr. Bobby Flay, who purports to be a
chef of some reknown.  We do not like Mr. Flay, we do not like him at all.
It isn't a "We love to hate him" sort of dislike (that is reserved for
Emeril), and it isn't a "let's send his cookbook to someone we don't like"
(that is reserved for [which cook should we put in here?  Tyler Florence?
Paula Deen?].
	Mr. Flay (we won't dignify him with the title "Chef"), represents so many
bad behaviors and poor cooking practices that he is a disgrace to your
network.  The fact that he has managed to whine his way into not one, not
two, but now 3 Iron Chef shows is just amazing.  His cooking is restricted
to roughly 10 ingredients, and he can't seem to make anything without too
much spice and blue corn masa.  He does excell at grandstanding, which is
fine if there was quality food to back it up.  However Mr. Flay cannot seem
to produce anything 'outside his box' as it were, and if it weren't for his
flamboyant antics, would be totally boring to watch.  As it is, when he
comes on the screen, it is time to find another channel.  The fact that he
is being included in the Iron Chef America is distressing.  The Iron Chef
format is fabulous, and we all enjoy it.  We applaud your choice of Alton
Brown as commentator (although he would be great to watch as a competitor),
along with Mario Battali and Masaharu Morimoto.  Even Wolfgang Puck was fun
to watch in the last version, although hearing Mr. Flay whine and throw
temper tantrums ruined that show as well.
	A professional chef should know better than to stand on cooking surfaces,
burn foods, and throw things.  Mr. Flay displays behaviors that should have
been dealt with in kindergarten, and have no place in a professional cooking
environment.
	We urge you to reconsider Flay's inclusion in future cooking shows, as his
presence brings down the status of your entire organization.  Perhaps if he
weren't spending so much time making food shows (they aren't really
qualified to be called 'cooking shows') he would be able to spend more time
developing his less-than-promising cooking capabilities.  Do yourselves a
favor, cut him loose.
	Sincerely,
		The cooks that love you