[Sca-cooks] Traveling Dysshes

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 4 12:40:56 PST 2005

Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>

>Okay. I'm not quite sure which edition my copy is. It wasn't until the
>comments earlier in this thread that I realized there were multiple
>editions of this book. My copy says "copyright 1995, 1996" and
>"Revision date - 24 May 1996".

The most recent edition has a revision date of 31 July 2002.

>Among other
>things, the original recipes are given, unlike a number of purportedly
>more historic books.

Well, there was an recipe for brawn that the redactor made with ham.
While brawn may have been preserved in some way, from what i can tell
it wasn't like modern ham.

But that reminds me of a recipe that is NOT in Travelling Dysshes,
one that i found on the web by some SCAdian. It's a recipe for a
vegetable side dish of freshly cooked carrots in honey sauce - and it
purports to be based on the Compost recipe from Form of Cury- but
that is certainly not what Compost is.

>And the author does make clear the purpose of the
>book and that she is not trying for extreme historical accuracy. "With
>respect to the estimable Cariadoc and his lady Elisabeth, this pamphlet
>is intended for cookery beginners or for those who do not camp or go to
>tourneys in totally period manner"

Yes, a handy book for cooking stuff at or for events by people who
are not dedicated historical cooks.

>I'm not sure which recipes might be "egregiously modern recipes",
>although I do now see a few recipes which only reference a period
>recipe but don't give the actual recipe.

For example there is now a section called "Recipes Removed From The
First Edition" (the 2002 is now considered the second edition), which
has recipes that may have been inspired by Med/Ren recipes but cannot
be traced back to one.

Anahita