[Sca-cooks] pilgrims and travel foods

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 4 19:36:55 PST 2005

Adamantius wrote:
>Does it still have a recipe for what people used to call [something
>like] Medieval Chicken McNuggets, based on a period recipe for fowl
>of some kind, boiled, finished in a sweet-and-sour sauce, and served,
>IIRC, as egredouce? Because if it does, it continues to stray across
>the line between whimsical expedience and misinformation.

I read the book yesterday, thinking of McNuggets - small chicken bits
(or perhaps in the commercial case) extruded chicken-meat fluff,
coated with batter or breaded, then fried.

There was a recipe for cooked chicken served with a sweet and sour
sauce, but not very nuggetty - so i wouldn't call it Medieval Chicken
McNuggets.

Nor is the precooked chicken served with a "selection of dippin'
sauces". It is served dressed with the one sauce.

So i would say that it is an interpretation of the Med/Ren recipe,
not Medieval Chicken McNuggets.

Perhaps you are thinking of another recipe, or you have experiences
with Chicken McNuggets that i lack.

I am in an in-between position on this book. It does NOT present
itself as containing truly accurate interpretations of historic
recipes. It is aimed at those who are not devoted historic cooks. So,
i wouldn't come down too hard on it. On the other hand, it's not a
book that i would use, since i AM one of those devoted historic cooks.

It serves its purpose, fills a void, has its place...

Anahita