[Sca-cooks] Stefan finally succeeds in aking cider

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 5 23:48:42 PST 2005

Vincenzo commented:
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > poured the remaining cider, minus the spices, back in
> > the gallon jug withthe unused portion, and capping it.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Well in a few days I noticed it foaming up.
> You are very lucky -- you almost created a siege engine.
No, not really in this case. I started with a gallon jug of juice and
drank about a third of it. That gives a fair amount of air space. And
when I did notice it start to foam I would loosen and tighten the lid
every couple of days to let off any gas buildup. And after the Yule
Revel the bottle was only about 1/3 full. Which is an awfully large
amount of air and why I'm thinking about getting it into a smaller
bottle.

And I do have experience with what you speak of. In one of my previous,
intentional hard cider experiments  after I thought the brewing was
almost done, I put the cider in a number of Grouch bottles. The brown
beer bottles with the white ceramic stoppered top with rubber seals and
a levered closure lock. I put these in the refrigerator and after a
week or so, tasted one. It tasted off or over done. So I popped the top
back on and put it back in the refrigerator. After several more weeks I
decided that I needed to clear out the refrigerator and the cider had
to go. So since I wanted to keep the bottles, I took one out to the
compost pit with the idea of simply popping the top and pouring it into
the pit and going back for the rest. The top blew off, taking the wire
clamp with it and I had a three foot fountain stream of foam and liquid
arching into the pit. The rest of them were opened much more carefully,
making sure they were pointed way away from my face and holding tightly
onto the cap. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas