[Sca-cooks] Last Day - January 6th Holiday Exchange

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 6 05:36:05 PST 2005

Here is the last installment of my holiday exchange.  I hope you have
enjoyed it, and for those that have not, thank you for the indulgence, it
has been nice to have something attached to this holiday that gave me some
'holiday spirit'.
Christianna

JAN 6
Feast of Kore - Ancient Egypt - Goddess of Fertility, Cereal, Grains, and
Agriculture.

Birth of Jesus of Nazareth - Known as the Great Teacher before his
deification, celebrated by the original Christians.

Epiphany  (1 AD) Magi visit Christ

Feast Days of the Magi - St. Caspar, St. Melchior, St. Balthasar ( 1st Cent)
Patron Saints of Travelers.

Festival of Three Kings -
	Germany - The initials of the three Magi are marked over the doorways so
the saints will see them and protect the house from flood and fire. Children
dress up as the kings.
	France - The three kings were believed to have passed through France on
their journey East.  The children there leave hay in their shoes for the
King's camels, and in the morning they are rewarded with bon-bons, toys, and
Galette des Rois, or King Cakes.  Each cake must be baked with a bean, a
small token, or even a small china doll.  There is always one more portion
than there are guests, la part a Dieu- God's share, for the first poor
person who knocks on the door.

Day of the Triple Goddess - Celtic

St. Macra's Feast Day (3rd Cent) Patroness invoked against Breast Disease.
Converted to the faith in Rhiems, France (Gaul), she refused to abandon
either her faith or her chastity.  She was martyred by having her virginal
breasts sheared off.  She was evidently learned, for she is pictured bearing
her breasts on an open book.

Christmas Day - Early observances.

Richard II "The Lionheart"(b. 1367) King of England

Joan of Arc (b. 1412)

Henry VIII Marries Anne of Cleves (1540)