[Sca-cooks] Dairy regulations

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 06:30:36 PST 2005

I was a "small dairyman" for twenty years in South Carolina from 1965 through 1985.  We began with 18 cows and had nearly 90 when we sold out because new regulation made the cost of business too expensive.  We were certainly regulated.  I believe a more correct word would be over-regulated.  At times we'd receive visits from County, State, and Federal inspectors all in the same week.  All of whose regulations were similar but different, often requiring different, expensive, equipment.  The only producers who were not then and are not now covered by Federal regulations are "hobbyists" who do not sell milk or meat or hide or wool.
I have not read the legislation in question, as 1. I no longer am a dairyman, and 2. I am not from Virginia.  However, my suspiciion is that the result could be that it makes the cost of keeping hobby animals so expensive, and the process so prohibitive, that the average farm family could no longer afford to keep a milk cow or goat, and their kids could no longer keep dairy animals for show.
I agree that this would have small affect on SCA feast costs.
However, I am saddened by yet another sign of big business and big government in collusion against the individual.  Unfortunately, there is little we can do about it, as it is a side effect of overpopulation in a wild population.  If we had an expanding planet with always enough room for everyone, it would not be tolerated.  Or if humans were domesticated enough to live in crowded conditions in harmony, such regulation would not be necessary.
Oops, my roots are showing... Almost slipped into rant mode.  I'll return you to your regularly scheduled cook's discussion now...

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
Shire of Thorngill, Meridies