[Sca-cooks] Re: High Altitude Cooking

Sheila McClune smcclune at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 25 22:54:58 PST 2005

<<<

Well ... embarrassing as it is to admit it, I've never actually used a
convection oven <sheepish grin>.  I know there are other Outlanders on
this list, though ... perhaps some of them have experience in this area?

> Our current plan is to get the bread made and I may well make the spaetzle at home (1200 feet or so).  We'll see.  We're going to test cook the whole thing up there just to see.
<<<

I think the "make the spaetzle at home and heat it in a roaster" plan
sounds like a great idea. :)  So does test cooking at the feast
altitude.  I've got lots of stories of friends who have gone off
backpacking in the mountains at 10,000+ feet and then wondered why they
were having so much trouble getting the spaghetti to cook!

> Oh, do cookies have any modifications needed?
<<<<

Yes, generally when I make cookies, I add a little more flour (1-2
tablespoons per standard batch of chocolate chip cookies, for example).
If you don't, they spread out and get really flat.  You'll also need to
cook them for a minute or two longer.

Arwen
Caerthe, Outlands
(Denver, CO)