[Sca-cooks] OT: on a tangential note -- "Chili Sauce"

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Jan 27 03:06:15 PST 2005

Hullo, the list!

Does anyone have any insight to offer, since we've been speculating a
bit about various alleged chili preparations, exactly what is the
provenance and purpose of bottled "chili sauce"? I suspect the
non-Americans on this list may not know the substance to which I
refer...

Someone mentioned a sauce added to "chili", and said it was like a
thin, watered-down, sweet ketchup. Could that have been chili sauce,
such as people like Heinz make? I've never actually tried the stuff,
as far as I know, but occasionally note its existence on supermarket
shelves, and am always amused by the fact that, so far from having
chillies as a primary ingredient, it actually contains none, as a
rule.

Apparently, though, this stuff is a traditional main ingredient in
the red cocktail sauce you sometimes find served with cold seafoods
in the US, although by the time the requisite lemon, Worcestershire,
and horseradish (plus optional Tabasco) are added, the absence of
chili in the chili sauce is less glaring.

It's interesting, though, that in a way we've sort of come full
circle here: the special steak sauce from the Old New York (even
better: Old Brooklyn) steak house, Peter Luger's, that great temple
to cholesterol whose waiters have been insulting customers and
refusing to honor checks and credit cards, other than their own Peter
Luger's credit card, for well over a hundred years (having a Peter
Luger credit card is a sign you have made it in New York, not that
you can do anything else with it but buy a meal at Peter Luger's) --
their steak sauce, which you can now buy in bottles, is a thin,
tomato-based (but apparently not ketchup-based) sauce that seems to
contain crushed tomatoes, maybe molasses or some other sweetener like
corn syrup, just a little vinegar, grated horseradish and some other,
unnamed spices. It is sold refrigerated in glass bottles, but is used
in the restaurant as a salad dressing, with their beefsteak tomato
and bermuda onion appetizer (I guess this is really a salad), a steak
sauce, and with cold seafood cocktails. In that context it's actually
quite good stuff.

I was just wondering whether there was any connection to this
mysterious bottled chililess chili sauce. Apart from seafood cocktail
sauce, what is chili sauce of the Heinz variety used for? Or are you
supposed to put it on chili?

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782