[Sca-cooks] bottled sour orange juice - OOP Cuban recipe

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Thu Jan 27 07:03:23 PST 2005

Since you asked I've posted it below. The introduction to the
marinade recipe says that it is using regular OJ and lime as a
substitute for bitter orange juice. I don't know that pouring the
mixture into hot oil did much to bring out additional flavor in
the marinade, but it sure did make a mess. I chickened out and
only poured half in and let it settle down before adding the rest.
The marinade is great for chicken or pork. Sometimes I add some
serrano peppers to the marinade to give it a bit of a kick.
Instead of regular rice, I serve it with Vigo yellow rice with a
handful of frozen carrots and peas tossed in for color. You can
buy the Vigo either as a small seasoning packet to add to regular
rice or in tube that includes the seasoning. Also, I used breasts,
legs, and thighs when I made this recipe the first time. The
thighs came out the best and I've only used thighs since.

I got the recipe from Epicurious.com. It is great for a casual
dinner party because most of the work is done ahead of time except
for the rice and a salad:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/105575

Mojito Chicken:
The Chicken
1 chicken (3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
1 cup Mojito Marinade (see below)
1 large onion, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley or cilantro

The Garnish
Lime wedges

The Accoutrement
Rice

Spread the chicken out in a baking dish, and pour the Mojito
Marinade over it. Get personal with the pieces and rub some of the
marinade right up under the skin. Marinate the chicken for 4
hours, or overnight, in the fridge.
Turn the oven on to 375°. Scatter the onion slices over the bottom
of a roasting pan, and put the chicken on top, skin side up. Pour
the remaining marinade over the chicken and onions, and pop the
pan into the oven. Roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes, til the
chicken is golden and cooked through.

Lift the chicken pieces out of the pan and arrange them on a
platter. Stir up the pan juices, adding a bit of fresh Mojito
Marinade (if you have it) to wake up the flavors. Spoon the onions
and pan juices over the chicken. Sprinkle with parsley or cilantro
and garnish the dish with lime wedges. Get everybody to squeeze
some lime over their portion for added flavor. Serve with rice.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
May 2001
John Stage and Nancy Radke
Ten Speed Press
________
Mojito Marinade

1/4 cup chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups fresh orange juice
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup olive oil
4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

Mix together the garlic, onions, orange juice, and lime juice in a
bowl. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan til just smoking. Now
cover up your arms and put some potholder mitts on your hands
because you're about to do something that is contrary to good
cooking practice but produces great flavor release. Slide the
contents of the bowl into the hot oil — be very careful because
the liquid will splatter. Simmer for 5 minutes to soften the
onions and garlic. Season the marinade with the rest of the
ingredients. Pour everything into a blender or food processor and
pulse 3 times to combine. Pour into a plastic container and cool
to room temperature; then cover and refrigerate. Mojito Marinade
keeps for up to 2 weeks.

Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
May 2001