[Sca-cooks] Sauerbraten Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 20, Issue 145

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 20:51:03 PST 2005

Greetings Vitha,

No, I have not found Sauerbraten as in marinated then
braised and served with Gingersnap gravy.  What I have
found are a number of recipes that have you take a
roast of beef, marinate it overnight in a couple of
ways then roast them (on a spit)  and serve with a
sauce made of the marinade.

One flavor combination is recipe 44.  Juniper berries,
caraway and crushed garlic in water and vinegar and
chopped onion.
for serving the sauce gets pepper, ginger and butter
added to it.

and number 47 is translated on my website:
Take a beef roast/ and marinate it overnight / put
half water and half vinegar/ also crushed garlic/ in
the broth (brine)/ and a little salt/ let the roast
lie therein over night/ the next morning early take it
from the brine/ and salt it/ stick it on (a
rotisserie?)/ and let it roast. Take the brine/ in
which the roast was marinated/ pour it off/ so the
thick (particles) remain on the bottom (of the
marinating bowl)/ put it into a small Fishpot/ with a
little crushed pepper/ and fresh unmelted butter/ and
let it simmer/ set a tinned fryingpan under the roast
and pour this over the roast/ so it is a good meal for
Hungarian and Polish gentlemen.

Recipe 50 uses juniper and cumin and vinegar marinated
overnight.

In Service
Gwen Cat
always playing catch up on digests....