[Sca-cooks] Re: Meat loaf (was Peppers and Mangoes)

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sun Jan 2 05:14:32 PST 2005

[attributions restored]

Phlip wrote:

> "Susan Laing" <paxford at dodo.com.au> wrote:

> > I have got to admit mystification about the average
> > American "Meatloaf" -

[snip]

> > So what is it really? - I'm assuming ground beef is
> > involved (aka "mince meat" as it's known in australia).

Well, it's not 'Mystery Meat' -- you have to go to college
for that.  <g>

> > Is it some larger grander variation on the common Aussie
> > Rissole? (mince meat + diced onions + egg to bind it
> > together to a ball shape and then fried in oil in a pan.
> > Think "hamburger patties" without them being flattened)

That makes me think of frittata. (not a Bad Thing® either <g>)

I happen to like hamburgers made of more than just ground
beef -- minced onions, minced garlic, minced parsley, egg,
bread crumbs (maybe just a little), seasoned with salt,
fresh ground pepper, cayenne pepper, a touch of tobasco sauce.

Visualize a cooked version of steak tartare.

In any case, mixed by hand not in a food processor -- it
would be too uniform in that case.

Hiding overcooked meat loaf under a thick gravy is similar
to admitting defeat or eating in a bad restaurant.

> > Mari

[snip]

> Classicly, it contains a 50/50 mix of ground pork and
> ground beef,

... or equal parts of ground beef, ground pork, ground veal.

I recently used a 50/50 mix of ground veal and ground beef.

> with bread crumbs, salt and pepper, and an egg binder,
> baked in a bread pan (why it's called meat "loaf"), and
> covered with a tomato sauce to bake.

...or bacon strips.

[snip]

> can be shaped in a ball,

... fried and cooked in spaghetti sauce served over pasta..

[snip]

> Saint Phlip,

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick