[Sca-cooks] Re: Turkey defrosting

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 2 08:53:43 PST 2005

As I said in a previous post, the Food Code guidelines state that tepid
water is acceptable, anything under 70 degrees.
Christianna

Defrosting a turkey in cold water (40 degrees or less) works. I would not
use running water, because the water coming out of the tap is higher than 40
degrees.
<snip>
Food defrosted in water less than 40 degrees is no less safe than defrosting
the food in the refrigerator. And you don't need to keep the water running
(impossible really, in the fridge), as long as it's cold enough.
Berelinde