[Sca-cooks] Turkey Defrosting?

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sun Jan 2 12:18:15 PST 2005

Bill Fisher wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:24:29 -0500, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus
> Adamantius <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> > What Phlip said.

> > Basically, you want to do two things. You want to warm
> > the bird enough to thaw it without getting any part of it,
> > for any prolonged period of time, above 40-45 degrees F.

> > The trouble with warm water is that salmonella will
> > cheerfully, and in fact, reverently, be fruitful and
> > multiply (Hallelujah!) under the skin and in other
> > outer, warmer portions of the bird, while others are
> > still frozen.

True words of wisdom that should be carved beside the
doorways of all kitchens.

As, in like manner, the images of the Ancients, 7 in number,
were carved in stone at the Royal Portal of the Cathedral
at Chartres to represent the 7 liberal arts.

"It is a remarkable fact that at the instigation of the
Cathedral School of Chartres, the seven liberal arts were
carved in stone, personified and holding their attributes,
on the Royal Portal of the cathedral."

Gimpel, Jean; "Medieval Machine: The industrial Revolution
of the Middle Ages"; Penguin; ISBN: 0140045147

"The right door portrays Christ seated on the knee of Mary.
Around this scene are depictions of the seven liberal arts.
The seven liberal arts signified knowledge, and as it is
expressed in seven basic disciplines, this expression also
represents the perfection of the cosmos. The seven liberal
arts were clustered in groups of four and three:

The Quadrivium [of sciences]
(music, arithmetic, geometry, and astronomy)

and the Trivium [of exposition]
(grammar, rhetoric, and dialectic).";

http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~dvess/ids/fap/rport.htm

Sorry (but not very sorry <g>) for this digression into
... ummm ... several other things.  BTW, you're lucky in
that the 'research' for these comments generated 2 other
messages to non-SCA forums.

[snip]

> The hard part is keeping the bird submerged in the brine,
> and you should change it out every now and then.  I use
> a brick in a ziploc baggie to keep the bird drowned.

A similar concern arises when macerating fruit for a cordial
-- a plate weighted by a water filled Ziploc induced the
balance I sought.

If only it could be that simple to create, maintain balance
in other aspects of our lives.

[snip]

> > Adamantius, dealing with no frozen boids, but prepping
> > Manilla clams and shrimp for later this evening
>
> Cadoc
> Whose most complex cooking task today is making a turkey
> sandwich

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick