[Sca-cooks] Re: Meat loaf (was Peppers and Mangoes)

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Jan 2 12:41:21 PST 2005

 From all the posts, it's obvious that there are infinite varieties in
infinite combinations, some gourmet and some more...prosaic.  (Beef and
italian sausage would be nummy, though...I'll have to try it sometime!)
I think some of the ubiquitousness of the dish in the U.S. is that it
can be made with relatively inexpensive meat (hamburger), which can then
be "stretched" with starch fillers--bread crumbs, crackers, oatmeal,
whatever.  We weren't a huge gray family when I was growing up, so the
goo on top of our meatloaf was usually tomato-based.  It's good, though,
with a good brown gravy, especially if mushrooms are also involved.
And it's darned near a perfect comfort food, especially with smashed
taters...right up there with mac-and-cheese, or tomato soup with
toasted-cheese sandwiches, or chicken-noodle soup.  Food from an
ethnically-neutral, middle-class childhood.  So it kind of becomes a
cultural/culinary touchstone.  What kinds of food fill the same slot in OZ?
--maire, heading off to the kitchen to make pot roast for dinner (beef,
onion, carrots, taters, and maybe a sweet tater or turnip, done with a
bottle of dark (local) microbrew, instead of water or wine).  Oh, and a
nice, homemade baked custard with fresh nutmeg grated on top. mmmmm.....