[Sca-cooks] Scotch Eggs

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Jan 3 04:10:39 PST 2005

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Adamantius mentioned:
>>Also sprach Micheal:
>>>   Actually where I learned cooking,  meat loaf wrapped around a hard
>>>  boiled egg was called a "scotch egg".
>>
>>Except classically, a Scotch egg is breaded and fried (I mean. on top
>>of the meat wrapping), more like Mari's rissoles, and the egg is
>>still the main component of the dish. Today it's mostly done with
>>sausage meat, but originally was, apparently, done with chopped raw
>>ham.
>With chopped raw ham instead of sausage? That would change the taste
>a bit. Any further info on this? I doubt this takes it back to
>period, though.

Um, "I read it in a book"? I actually did, but not sure where. I'll
probably run across it again before I die, in which case I'll be sure
to let you know.

I doubt there's any special relationship between any use of chopped
ham (I'm talking a raw ham like Smithfield or something akin to
Westphalian) and the periodicity of the dish, or the lack thereof.

FWIW, I just reached over to the bookshelf on a whim and checked Mrs.
Beeton, who says you use a forcemeat (no details given, but what with
one thing and another, finely ground veal with other stuff added
would be a likely suspect), but she does say you can substitute some
pounded anchovy for the ham, which leads me to suspect that at least
some of the other stuff in my putative, theoretical  veal forcemeat
might be chopped ham. Veal and ham are sort of a classic Victorian
combination for pies and such.

Again, though, what I was originally talking about was minced raw
ham, possibly the fatty trimmings. Yes, it would change the taste
more than a bit, and I suspect we're not talking about the
grapefruit-sized meatballs with an egg hidden distantly within that
some people refer to when they say Scotch Eggs...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04