Tsunami-torn areas was Re: [Sca-cooks] black pepper wars

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at dragonflight.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 00:22:51 PST 2005

>As well, as horrendous as the damage in the Tsunami-torn areas is, the
actual area damaged is confined to the coastal areas.

As in much of the area worst affected the land is relativly small islands
often most of the land is affected.

> I've not looked
at where the spices are grown, but I suspect most of them are grown,
and probably mostly processed, away from the coastal areas.

In some areas aid cannot be landed as the ports are destroyed

> Even the
high death and injury tolls are only a fraction of the population in
those areas.

In many costal areas it is suggested only 1 in 10 people survived

>Some port facilities may be damaged, but the exporters
will figure out how to get around that.

They will but it will take time and money, it is hoped their econamy will
re-establish asap so that they can have something to live on, I can do
without spices, but the people of the affected areas cannot do without
income indefinatly

>Part of the problem in understanding this is that when the media maps
out the damaged areas they tend to color in whole countries.

try the bbc website their information is pretty sound so far.

>India,
even Sri Lanka, are being entirely colored in, although the damage is
confined to just their coastal areas.

No not really the worst damage may be, but even in Nepal there were 1 m high
waves and damage as a result.

>Unfortunately, as the sea level continues to rise in the next century
due to global warming,

The Maldives it is thought will vanish within 50 years. Bear in mind however
that Global temprature changes are normal, The Bronze age and even much of
the SCA period had a much warmer global climate than we see today.

Mel

Company, unless specifically stated. You should not copy, forward or
otherwise disclose the contents of this e-mail or any of its attachments
without express consent