Tsunami-torn areas was Re: [Sca-cooks] black pepper wars

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Tue Jan 4 07:09:34 PST 2005

I just thought I'd give you some perspective. Phlip, while you are
freezing your tuchus (sp?) off in Connecticut, what are you using
to heat your house? Northern Sumatra (specifically Banda Aceh and
Lhok Seumawe) is one of the primarily producers of liquid natural
gas. This is the gas that is used to heat homes, provide
semiconductor chips (through a complicated chemical process), and
many other things that you take for granted. I'm not trying to
pick a fight, but I'm trying to point out that this WILL have a
direct effect on you.

I lived there for three years. This area of the world has been
decimated because of a civil war that broke out when the U.S.
decided to exploit the natural resources of the region. The
Indonesian government sold the mineral rights to U.S. countries
and did little to put the money back into the local region's
infrastructure. There has been a bloody civil war raging there
since the mid-1970's as a result of this. The U.S. was a major
part of trying to put down the insurgency by sending over CIA and
other operatives to help the Indonesian government maintain
control over the region so we could continue to get our natural
gas and oil products. There were (and up until the tsunami)
massacres occurring on a regular basis with hundreds of people
being killed. About five years ago, the guerrillas began to win
the war and they evacuated all non-Indonesians from the area
because they could no longer protect us. I'm not sure if they
closed the plant at that time or if it continued to run using only
Indonesian or single-status personnel.

The majority of these people lived in what we would call shanties.
The better built homes were made of cinderblocks, but the
construction was poor (or the tropical humidity got to them) and
the cinderblocks would start to disintegrate rather quickly (based
on what I've seen in the U.S.). The village that was closest to
where I lived consisted of houses made out of 2x4s, plywood, and
corrugated steel. The roads were dirt except for a couple main
roads between cities and a few in the cities/towns. I live about
100 yards from the beach and I'm sure the house I lived in is
gone.

These are not people who expect a whole lot out of life. They
considered our lifestyle to be extravagant...kind of the way the
average person in the U.S. would consider Donald Trump's
lifestyle. When it comes down to it...how many TVs do you really
need? How many cars do you need? Do you really need 100+ channels
on your TV? What if you had to get up and walk to the corner store
and carry your groceries home instead of hopping in your car and
putting a week's worth in the trunk? So when what little they do
have is washed away, it really hurts. They can't just go to the
store to get another pot to cook rice in, because the store is
gone as well.

The Indonesians I met were very happy people and it didn't take
much to make their day. They were willing to work hard and didn't
expect a whole lot (by our standards) in return. Our gardener
would routinely bring us fresh vegetables and fruits from his
village when he would return from his weekend off. He would refuse
any money my mom would try to pay him for it because he felt like
he was making enough money (about $20 a month in 1980) as a
gardener. My father taught him English and basic skills so he
could get a better job at the plant. Even after he left us, he
would still bring us fresh veggies on a regular basis.

I could go on and on...but I won't bore the list. If anyone would
like me to expand on this in private I will be more than happy to
discuss it. I loved Indonesia and the Aceh people. I had always
hoped to go back some day and I still do. Unfortunately, many of
the places I would have liked to re-visit have most likely been
washed away.

Anyways, this is my hot button.
Ysabeau