[Sca-cooks] Stefan finally succeeds in making cider

Craig Jones drakey at webone.com.au
Wed Jan 5 05:16:53 PST 2005

Just my 2 pennies here.  Yes, there are some good stories on cider
making with wild ferments. But for every good ending, there are ten bad
endings.

I love making home made hard cider from apple juice.  It's really easy
and a lot of fun.  I always add a good, appropriate yeast and a little
yeast nutrient and the results I get are nearly always positive (I've
had one go off, cause unknown, bad lactobacillus infection) and
repeatable.  Apple juice is not cheap, my time is always invaluable
(it's a commodity beyond value because once it's gone, it's gone for
good) and thus I try my best not to make expensive failures that have to
be poured down the sink.

My best recipe involves pasteurized apple juice, a kilo or two of honey
boiled in a little water (just enough to make a syrup), some citric and
malic acid to make the apple juice tarter (cider apple juice is tarter
than normal commercial apple juice), some cassia bark (works better than
cinnamon - a more perfumed aroma I find), the yeast and nutrient...

My household demands regular kegs of the stuff...

Drakey.