[Sca-cooks] pilgrims and travel foods

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 5 22:45:46 PST 2005

Adamantius said:
> > Perhaps you are thinking of another recipe, or you have experiences
> > with Chicken McNuggets that i lack.
>
> It may have been inspired by a perfectly good periodrecipe, but I
> assume it went through at least one generation of radical changes. Be
> that as it may, I'm almost positive it was posted on this list, with,
> possibly, changes made to the recipe as published in the book, but
> with the book used as the named source. The poster referred to it as
> Medieval Chicken McNuggets. I vaguely recall that the name was used
> and popularized by some Laurel that the poster was quoting.
I think this may be the recipe which you all are referring to. This is
from the chicken-msg file in the Florilegium:
> Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:02:24 -0700
> From: "Karen O" <kareno at lewistown.net>
> Subject: Re:  SC - chicken recipe
>
> >I "lost" the recipe that I was given on this list.  referred to it as
> period
> >Chicken McNuggets
> >Begga Elisabeth
>
>     From * 2 15th Century Cookery Books*  the recipe is called:
> Viaunde of
> Cypres Ryalle
> this particular redaction is from *Traveling Dysshes* by Siobhan Medhbh
> O'Roarke
>
> Cooked chicken: parts/peices
> 1 cup white wine
> 1/4 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup honey
> 1/2 tsp each: cloves, mace & ginger
> 1/4 cup ground almonds
> 1/2 cup currants
>
>     Boil the wine and sugar together for 10 minutes or until it
> thickens and
> clings to a spoon.  Add honey spices & currants and cook for another 5
> minutes.
>     Arrange the chicken in your serving dish, Pour the hot syrup over
> the
> chicken.
> Chill well, serve cold.
>
> NOTE:  I use whole cloves, and fresh grated ginger, and tend to use a
> heavier hand with the spices (maybe 1 tsp each)
>
> Caointiarn

> > It serves its purpose, fills a void, has its place...
>
> Do you really believe that it fills a void in providing simple dishes
> for people travelling to events (am I mistaken as to the intent of
> the book?), that could not just as easily be filled by the simpler
> period recipes?
Yes, I do. This book provides more than just a series of simple period
recipes. Most of the recipes are period even if folks on this list may
quibble about how good the given redactions are.

I do like the idea of providing easily made, good redactions of period
recipes for people to use. That is why there is this Florilegium file:
easy-p-recip-msg   (7K) 11/29/01    Some easy period recipes. Ideal for
new
                                        cooks or for cooks new to period
cooking.

Not very big though, is it? :-( I'd love to have more to add to it.

"Traveling Dyshes" also collects together in one place information that
is of use to those new to the SCA or new to period cooking. I don't
think the books which you are thinking of cover such things as items
that will work for SCA feasts that can be easily bought in the store or
give even a quick overview of which foods are New World and which are
not. The book is small and simple. Folks just getting into the SCA are
not likely to go plop down $20 or $30 for a more comprehensive period
cookbook. And if they do, we know from discussions here that without
some guidance they are as likely to get a bad one as a good one. How
many times does "Fabulous Feasts" show up in the neighborhood bookstore
compared to the volumes you think are better? "Traveling Dyshes" even
includes a short bibliography of good books for those interested in
delving into the subject more deeply.

I think this is a good book for either those in the SCA who are not
going to work on learning the ins and outs of period cookery and a good
starting point for those that might be encouraged to study things more
but are just starting out.

I can think of a number of SCA pot lucks that would be greatly improved
if folks referred to this book.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas