[Sca-cooks] Stefan finally succeeds in making cider

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 5 22:59:10 PST 2005

Mel replied to me with:
> > Anyway, I had bought a gallon of cider for the revel <snip>Tasting it
> > in early December, it was alcoholic
Hmmm. What I forgot to mention again is that I've never had a mead
fail, but all my ciders before this had failed, for various reasons.
> Does this mean the stuff you refer to as cider was not originally
> alcoholic? Cider in the UK always is
Yes. Here you will often find "apple cider" and "apple juice" used
interchangeably. The "apple juice" is almost always filtered. The
"apple cider" may or may not be. The usual American term for alcoholic
cider is "hard cider".
> I use a couple of Frenchbooks for cider making they can be got on
> Amazon.fr
> but are only much use if you read French :( Let me know if you want
> details
I've also gotten some good info from this list over the years, which is
now in the Florilegium:
cider-art         (23K) 10/31/95    Article on brewing ciders.
cider-msg         (72K)  7/ 1/04    Apple and other ciders. Cider
presses.

And if I had been *trying* to ferment the cider, I probably would have
referred to these. Still doesn't mean I would have gotten something
drinkable. :-)
> > Maybe it's time to siphon off what is left and bottle it.
>
> > From what you say it seems you got a natural yeast ?
Correct. From the air? From the spices? I don't know. But that I
actually got something drinkable via a natural yeast, without trying,
was part of what I was wanting to illustrate. Don't know if I tried it
again whether it would happen again or not.
> If it orked out
> > well don't bin the eresidue but use it it proper medieval fashion
> for your
> next batch :)
Certainly worth considering. Except I'm not sure how to store it since
I don't expect to make more for awhile. I still haven't finished off
what was left from the Yule Revel in early December. And which part
should I save? The sludge in the bottom? Or some of the cider itself?
Maybe freeze some of the latter?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas