[Sca-cooks] Mrs. Penn's Apple Beer...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 6 00:26:11 PST 2005

Adamantius said:
> Sorry if I presume, but since a couple of people very quickly asked
> for the recipe privately once I mentioned it on this list, I figured
> I'd post it here, even though it is more or less OOP.
Thanks. But remind me, what year is this recipe from?

>   From "Penn Family Recipes," copyright Evelyn Abraham Benson 1966,
> pub. George Shumway, York, PA:
>
> "[Apple beer]
> [95]
>
> stamp apels and strain them as usuly for Cyder,
> then take the Liquor and warm it
> and put it upon the malt,
> then when it is Com throu boyle it,
> and then worke it Like other bere,
> when it is put into vesells put 3 pound of hard suger
> in to the quantaty of an hogsheed,
> a few hops should bee boyled in it --"
Awk! My first thought was that I've seen 15th and 16th Century recipes
which were more understandable. But after re-reading it a couple of
times it is clearer. "put it upon the malt" must mean pour it through
malted grain. Lots of figuring out still to do, like "worke it like
other bere". What is the volume of a hogshead?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com